Registrar’s Tell Us Once Service

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.

Your local registrar will have given you a unique reference number to access the Tell Us Once service online or by phone. You’ll need the deceased’s:

  • date of birth

  • National Insurance number

  • driving licence number

  • passport number

  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, e.g. State Pension

  • details of any local council services they were getting, e.g. Blue Badge

  • Registration number of any vehicle owned by the deceased.

  • name and address of their next of kin

  • name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’

Organisations Tell Us Once Will Contact

Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits

  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg income support

  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence

  • Passport Office - to cancel a passport

  • The local council - to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register

  • Registered Keeper of a Motor Vehicle

  • NHS