Where to Register a Death

Appointments must be made at the Registrar’s office of the district where the death occurred. Details of the Registrar’s offices can be found at www.gov.uk/register-offices

Who Should Register the Death

A relative should register the death.

If a relative cannot register the death, you can do it if you:

  • were there at the time of death

  • administrator from the hospital or nursing home

  • are in charge of making funeral arrangements

The Registrar will require the following information from you when you are registering a death.

  • Full name and home address of the deceased

  • Date and place of birth, Date and place of death

  • Last occupation

  • Marital status

  • If there is a widow or widower, they will want to know their full name, address and last occupation.

The Registrar will issue you with a green certificate which needs to be delivered given to us. They will also issue you with a “Notification of Death” form, which you will need to fill in and send to the Department of Work and Pensions.

The Registrar will issue “Copies of the Entry”, (copies of the death certificate). The current fee is £11 per copy.

Please note this is not a definitive list and is for guidance only. You may wish to check with organisations prior to purchasing certificates if they will need to see an original certificate.

  • Banks & Building Societies; Personal Pension Companies

  • Premium Bonds & National Savings; Life Insurance

  • Contracts and Agreements; Probate; Solicitors; Accountants; Stocks & Shares; Mortgage Company & Land Registry; Credit Cards & Finance Agreements

  • Memberships of Professional or Social Bodies